Are you facing difficulty streaming content on Hulu, BBC iPlayer, Hulu, Netflix, Amazon Prime, and other platforms on Roku? If yes, a good way to fix this geo-restriction issue is by installing IPVanish on your Roku device.
A VPN service like IPVanish can hide your real IP address and give you a foreign IP address that you can use to watch content exclusive to certain regions. Although many channels on Roku are accessible to people in the US, you can access all streaming channels and websites from anywhere in the world.
Now that you know you need a VPN to stream content on Roku, you may be wondering how to install a VPN on Roku.
While it’s easy to install a VPN on FireStick, the process isn’t smooth on the Roku platform because Roku lacks native support for VPN software providers. So, there is no way to install a VPN on Roku directly.
Consequently, you won’t be able to stream content on popular streaming services and channels due to geo-restrictions and licensing issues. Moreover, suppose you are streaming outside the United States or countries like France, Mexico, Ireland, and the United Kingdom. In that case, you will find watching and accessing certain channels and content difficult unless you use a VPN.
Although I mentioned that there is no way to install a VPN directly on Roku, I will share a hack you can use to set up IPVanish on your router.
If you are ready to install a VPN on your Roku device and stream content on any streaming app, this article will show you the easiest way.
Before we get started, ensure you have an active IPVanish account. If you don’t already, subscribe to IPVanish using the link below to get the best deals and discount offers.
Does IPVanish Work With Roku?
Before we share the installation methods, it is wise to erase any doubtful thoughts inside your head. Most people argue that IPVanish doesn’t work with Roku because Roku device doesn’t have built-in VPN functionality.
However, IPVanish works with Roku, and if you want to use IPVanish VPN service on Roku, you must install the VPN on your router. Even if you don’t have a router, you can use your Mac or Windows PC as a virtual router and share the connection through its hotspot/Wi-Fi system.
It is important to note that not all VPNs are compatible with Roku. Some VPN services, especially cheap and free ones, can’t unblock the geo-blocks and limitations on your Roku device.
On the contrary, IPVanish is a reputable VPN service, having a network of over 2,000+ servers in 75+ locations. IPVanish uses advanced security systems and protocols, and they have fast servers for streaming and torrenting.
Moreover, IPVanish has been tested and confirmed to unblock content on many streaming services, including Hulu, Amazon Prime, BBC iPlayer, Hulu, Netflix, DAZN, Disney+, HBO Max, and more.
How To Setup IPVanish on Roku
Since the Roku OS doesn’t let you install VPN apps directly, installing a VPN can be tricky.
To setup IPVanish on Roku, you will need the following:
- Roku account.
- IPVanish subscription and app.
- A physical router.
- Or an Android device, Mac, or Windows PC.
You can use several methods to install IPVanish on Roku; however, the easiest and most recommended is to set up the VPN on your router.
If you don’t have a router, you can still use your Mac, PC, or Android phone to create a virtual hotspot. Once you have established a Wi-Fi or hotspot connection, you can connect your Roku device to IPVanish VPN.
This may sound complicated but believe me when I say it is one of the easiest things to do. Even if you are not tech-savvy or a VPN nerd, I will show you the different methods for setting up IPVanish on Roku.
Method 1: How To Setup IPVanish on Roku Via Router
Before installing IPVanish or any VPN on your router, you must first confirm if your router is VPN-compatible. Thankfully, IPVanish supports various router models, including DD-WRT and Tomato flashed routers. It can also be set up on routers running on the ASUSMerlin or ASUSWRT firmware.
You can check your router’s manual or contact the manufacturer to know if your router is VPN-compatible. If the router is compatible, all you have to do is to install the VPN directly using its app. However, if it isn’t compatible, you will install it manually. Alternatively, you can contact IPVanish for assistance, as they have tutorials for every supported router model.
Rest assured that once you’ve installed a VPN on your router (directly or manually), you can unblock geo-restrictions and fix streaming issues with IPVanish.
Follow these steps:
- Get an IPVanish subscription if you don’t have one.
- Connect to a server, preferably any U.S. server.
- Configure your Roku region and make it match the server location you selected to use.
- Open your Roku’s Settings.
- Go to Network.
- Click on Setup Connection.
- Select Wireless.
- Enter your network’s credentials and connect to the Wi-Fi.
Once that is done, you can stream anything on Roku without facing any geo-blocks and restrictions.
Method 2: How To Setup IPVanish on Roku via Android
If you don’t have a router but have an Android phone, you can use it to create a VPN connection, which you will use on your Roku device. Ensure you have the IPVanish app installed on your Android device.
Once the Android device is VPN-enabled, you can share a hotspot or WiFi connection with your Roku device. After this, you must configure your Roku platform and enable the screen mirroring feature. See the steps below to know how it is done:
- Go the Roku Settings.
- Navigate to the System option.
- Select screen mirroring.
- Select ‘Always Allow’.
Return to your Android device and do the following:
- Open the IPVanish app.
- Connect to a VPN server.
- Open the phone’s settings.
- Go to Bluetooth.
- Choose the option to cast and select Roku from the available devices displayed on your screen.
How To Install IPVanish on Roku Via PC
Alternatively, you can install the IPVanish app or software on your PC and enable the Windows mobile hotspot. This lets you establish and share the VPN connection with your Roku device.
Follow the instructions below to set it up:
- Download the IPVanish PC app. (Visit the IPVanish website to find the version compatible with your PC OS or model).
- Install the app.
- After installing the app, open your PC’s Settings.
- Select Network & Internet.
- Select the Mobile Hotspot option.
- Click the toggle to let your PC share your internet connection with other devices.
- You will find other related settings on the left side of the menu. Select Change adapter options.
- Choose the IPVanish Tap Adapter.
- Go to Properties. Select the option that lets other users access and use the internet connection.
- Launch the IPVanish PC app you installed.
- Enter your login credentials.
- Choose your preferred server.
- Open your Roku settings and ensure its location matches your VPN server’s location.
- Select the Network option in your Roku Settings menu.
- Navigate to Setup Connection.
- Select Wireless.
- Now, you will see the VPN hotspot you configured. Click it and enter the correct credentials to start using Roku with IPVanish.
How To Install IPVanish on Roku Via Mac
You can also turn your Mac computer into a virtual router, as we did with the Windows PC. Unlike the PC method, you need an Ethernet cable to convert your macOS computer into a virtual router. Follow the steps below to learn more:
- Step 1: Click the Apple logo in the top left corner.
- Step 2: Select System Preferences.
- Step 3: Select Network.
- Step 4: Click the Add or Plus icon (+) at the bottom left corner.
- Step 5: Select the Interface option.
- Step 6: Click VPN.
- Step 7: For VPN type, select IKEv2.
- Step 8: Enter the Service name (You can enter any network name of your choice).
- Step 9: Enter the US server address Remote ID (If you don’t have it, you can search the net).
- Step 10: Next, you will authenticate the connection using your credentials. Select Authentication Settings.
- Step 11: Enter your IPVanish login credentials (username and password) and click on OK.
- Step 12: Click on Advanced.
- Step 13: Select the “Send all traffic over VPN connection” option and click Ok.
- Step 14: Next, click on Apply.
- Step 15: Click on Connect.
- Step 16: Click the Apple logo in the top left corner again.
- Step 17: Go to System Preferences.
- Step 18: Select the Sharing option.
- Step 19: Tick the box next to Internet Sharing.
- Step 20: Go to the Wi-Fi Settings and enter the following details.
Network Name: Enter Channel (default) as the channel name.
Security: Set it to WPA2 Personal.
Password: Enter your preferred password.
- Step 21: You will retype your password for confirmation.
- Step 22: Save the settings by clicking OK.
That’s how you create a hotspot connection from your Mac computer. Once you connect your Roku device to this hotspot connection, you will bypass geo-restrictions and access a library or rich content.
How To Change Roku Location to the U.S
Our installation guide talked about changing the Roku region to match our VPN server location. If you want to access U.S. channels and content on Roku, you must ensure your Roku region is set to the United States.
If you don’t know how to create a U.S Roku account, follow the steps below:
- Step 1: Open the IPVanish app.
- Step 2: Find a U.S server and connect to it.
- Step 3: Create a new Roku account.
- Step 4: When you see a prompt requesting you to choose a payment method for your account, skip the step. (If you don’t have a U.S credit card, don’t enter any payment information).
Once your account is created, you can watch and access US content straight from your Roku device. However, if you are signed in to Roku with a foreign or non-US account, you can factory reset the device.
To factory reset your Roku device, go to Settings, select System, click on Advanced System Settings, and choose the Factory reset option.
Can IPVanish Unblock Roku Channels?
Many Roku users cannot stream certain channels on Roku due to licensing issues. If you are streaming outside countries like France, Ireland, the United Kingdom, the United States, and Mexico, you will enjoy watching content on Roku.
To watch popular live TV channels and shows, you should use IPVanish to erase the geo-restrictions preventing you from watching your favorite channel or TV content. Connecting to any IPVanish US servers will spoof your location and make it appear like you are based in the U.S region.
IPVanish helps you unblock Roku channels by changing your IP address and location. Follow the steps below to remove geo-restrictions and unblock any channel on Roku:
- Step 1: Turn on your Roku device.
- Step 2: Install Hulu, Netflix, or any streaming service you would like to watch.
- Step 3: Connect to a U.S. server.
- Step 4: Open the Netflix app and login using your credentials.
- Step 5: If you set your location to the US in the IPVanish app, you should be able to watch any TV show, movie, or channel in the United States.
We tested IPVanish on different streaming services, and we found it effective in bypassing geo-restrictions. If you are searching for a good VPN for Netflix, try out IPVanish. There’s no risk in trying this VPN service as they have a money-back guarantee, and you can cancel your subscription at any time if it doesn’t work for you.
Frequently Asked Questions
Many people have many issues or questions about installing IPVanish on their Roku devices, so I have created this section to address some of these issues.
How to unblock streaming channels on Roku?
If you can’t stream some live TV channels, then you may be facing geo-restriction issues. The best way to deal with such problems is to install a VPN. Installing a VPN will help you bypass the geo-blocks and stream any content in any region.
Can I install a VPN on Roku?
You can’t install a VPN app directly on Roku because the Roku OS doesn’t provide native support for VPN services. So, if you want to use a VPN on your Roku device, connect it to a VPN-enabled router.
How To Install a VPN on Roku?
You can install a VPN on your Roku device by connecting it to a VPN-enabled physical or virtual router. This guide showed the steps involved in setting up IPVanish on Roku, and you can also do it with any VPN service of your choice.
Is it safe to use a VPN?
There’s no risk or crime in using a VPN service as VPN services as legal in most parts of the world except for countries with stringent laws like China and some Middle Eastern nations.
While it is legal to use a VPN, ensure you are using it for the right purpose. Don’t use a VPN for illicit activities like cyberstalking, cyberbullying, hacking, or downloading and monetizing copyrighted material.
What is the best Roku device to buy?
The Roku Streaming Stick Plus is an ideal Roku device to purchase. This device is compatible with various TV sets, including HD and 4K HDR TVs. Moreover, it is easy to set up; you can connect it to your TV via an HDMI port and plug the power cable into a USB port.
Although Roku doesn’t have dedicated support for VPNs, that doesn’t make it impossible to use a VPN with it. You can install a VPN on your Roku device by using a virtual or physical router.
Hopefully, this guide has shown you how to install IPVanish on Roku. If you don’t want to use IPVanish or maybe you have another VPN service in mind, consider checking this guide on the best VPNs for Roku.
Scroll down to access more Roku and FireStick content: