The Nintendo Switch has been rocking the gaming industry since its release on October 8, 2021. The portability of this hybrid video game console has endeared it to gamers, who can use it as a handheld device or a home console. The beauty of the Nintendo Switch is that it allows you to play your favorite games on the go or at home.
This gaming console is available in OLED models and Nintendo Switch systems, and it comes with exciting games that you can play on your TV or play remotely from the screen of the console. Despite the affordable price, subscription benefits, and impressive exclusive games equipped in the Nintendo Switch, it has a disadvantage.
The fan of the Nintendo Switch is its biggest drawback. This game console is built with a fan that allows it to run heavy and hardcore games smoothly. However, the fan gets too loud enough to ruin your gaming experience. Many users have been asking ‘why is my Nintendo Switch fan too loud?”.
You certainly know that the fan is needed to prevent overheating and allow the system to run games smoothly. The common fear of most users is that their Nintendo Switch will probably overheat, which will cause the console to stop working properly. The fan’s noise can be unbearable to some users but there are some reasons why Nintendo Switch fan gets so loud.
If the noise is coming from the speakers, then it means that there is a problem with the speakers. But if the noise is not coming from the speakers themselves, it may be from the HD rumble systems, so you have to fix the Nintendo switch.
We will provide you with some possible reasons why the Nintendo switch fan gets loud and overheat.
What Causes Nintendo Switch Fan To Get Loud and How To Silence It?
There are periods when you play games on your Nintendo Switch non-stop for several hours. You need to have it in the back of your mind that you are overstretching the game console, which obviously needs a break. You shouldn’t play games on your Nintendo Switch for more than three hours at a stretch.
Anything above that may cause the Nintendo Switch to develop faults like excessive loud fan noise and overheating. The common reason why many Nintendo Switch game consoles get damaged is as a result of overheating.
Here’s what you should do to silence and prevent the loud noise and overheating of the Nintendo Switch:
- Set the dock in a cool place.
- Use any other dock.
- Do not play games on your Nintendo Switch for long periods.
- Change your grip.
- Use a special switch fan.
- Clean your Nintendo Switch console.
- Check if the fan is faulty and replace it if necessary.
1. Set the Dock in a Cool Place
The dock of the Nintendo is partially responsible for hauling heat from the game console to its AC adapter. So, you shouldn’t leave the console lying on your table or desk while it is charging, doing so will increase the hotness of the exterior over time.
Oblivious to you, you never knew that the fan can get loud when you are playing the Nintendo Switch in a hot area. Doing this will cause the device to start overheating and this will adversely affect the condition of the Nintendo. In addition, the device may get to extreme temperatures if you don’t turn it off after it gets hot.
One of the best ways to prevent the loud fan noise of this device is to set the dock on a cold surface (metal or wooden surface) when it is in use. Most times, you can try to leave some space between where you dock other electronics and your Nintendo in your room.
Always ensure that you keep your Nintendo Switch in a cool place. You can set it at the top of the table or shelf, where you know that it can get a fresh, good flow of air. Another thing is to ensure that there is no kind of heating element close to the Nintendo.
2. Use Any Other Dock
Users can use any other kind of dock that will not harm their Nintendo Switch. If you have a Nintendo Switch or intend to get one, make sure that you select a dock that is safe for the device. Also, you will have to make sure that the device is not overheating as a result of the USB C-type charging port.
So, ensure that you select a dock that will ensure free flow and supply of air around the device. The hot air in the device should have a passage to flow out so that the Nintendo fan doesn’t get loud.
3. Do Not Play Games on Your Nintendo Switch For Long Periods
Just as we mentioned earlier, we do not recommend users play games on the Nintendo Switch continuously for a lengthy period of time. When you want to play a game on your Nintendo, play for only a few hours then leave it to rest a little so it doesn’t damage.
Most times, your Nintendo is constantly on and running, so it generates heat and gets loud. Know that the longer you play, the harder the fan of the Nintendo needs to work to reduce its temperature. The best method to prevent loud fan noises is to play at intervals or take a break after a couple of hours.
Even if you are obsessed when intensive games, taking an hour’s break after three hours of continuous play wouldn’t be a bad idea. Avoid having lengthy and extended gaming sessions because in doing that, you will not cause the console to get overheated and damaged. Be sure to give the Nintendo Switch enough time to cool down before turning it off so that you don’t damage its components.
At times, you can choose not to use the device for some days just for it to relax. Doing this will significantly increase the durability of your Nintendo and make it last longer.
4. Change Your Grip
Another effective way to deal with the loud noise of the Nintendo Switch is to change how you hold the console. Changing the way you place your grip on the Nintendo Switch can lessen the volume of noise it makes when you are playing it because your body heat naturally travels from warm areas like hands to cooler areas.
If you hold the Nintendo tightly, your body heat will begin to build up in the console, thereby allowing the device to cause more noise than usual. Try not to hold the device in your palms firmly, you can hold the device with your stronger hand and allow the other hand loosely at the other end.
Alternatively, you can set the Nintendo gently in a case that should be able to accommodate the console’s heat. In addition, keeping your Nintendo Switch in a case can help protect the device against spills and drops, as well as prevent overheating. However, you should be aware that the case may make it difficult for you to access the screen and buttons of the console and make it harder for you to use any accessories you have paired.
5. Use a Special Switch Fan
Another effective to silence the noise of your Nintendo Switch is to get a special fan for it. One of the most affordable and portable fans you could ever get is the ElecGear Cooling Fan. This compact fan runs on batteries and it runs quietly compared to the loud whirring of the built-in fan of your Nintendo Switch.
Furthermore, it features an extra USB port that you can use to connect to wired controllers and other game accessories. Since this fan serves as a secondary cooling source for your game device, it is important to let you know that the main fan will not work as much as the attached fan, thereby decreasing the level of noise it produces.
If you intend to use the built-in fan, simply pair the USB charging cable from the back of the main fan to a USB power adaptor. Once the cable is connected, place the fan on a flat surface and turn it on right from the control panel. By providing a secondary cooling source for your device, the noise from the main fan of your Nintendo Switch will be reduced and less noticeable.
6. Clean Your Nintendo Switch Console
The vents coupled with other openings on your device can get dirty over the course of time. The consequence is that it will cause your console and the fan to work extra hard to keep it cool, and this is the major cause of the noise it generates.
Taking out some time to clean the vents will in turn expand the lifespan and increase the performance of your Nintendo. It will also minimize the chances of dust getting into the console.
Here’s the way to clean your Nintendo Switch:
- Turn off the console using the power button.
- Find a clean cloth or cotton to wipe any grime or dirt off the device. While wiping down the console, ensure that you clean the Joy-con controllers as well.
- Make sure that the vents along with other openings such as the opening for a USB port, and headset are clean and free of debris as you wipe them down.
- After cleaning, allow the Nintendo Switch to air fry for a while, and then make sure that no moisture gets entry inside the vents.
It is worth knowing that the manufacturer recommends using nothing but water for cleaning the Nintendo Switch. The reason is that other liquids such as soap or rubbing alcohol can likely damage the exterior of the device or leave behind residue that would ruin or damage the device.
6. Check If the Fan Is Faulty and Replace It If Necessary
If after you have followed the five steps and you are not convinced and satisfied with how silent your fan is, then the problem could just be that of a faulty fan. You can get an expert technician or professional to do the job for you for a few dollars but doing it yourself is an efficient option that will save you a lot of money.
We will be showing you step-by-step for you to fix the main fan or your Nintendo Switch by yourself – without the help of any professional.
How To Replace Your Nintendo Switch Fan From Home? (DIY Guide)
If you discover that your Nintendo Switch is overheating and making some awkward sounds, you may just have to replace the fan. The fan of your device may be busted and this is a common problem faced by most Nintendo Switch users.
To be honest, no one will enjoy playing games on the Nintendo when it is making weird noises. Nevertheless, it is better for one to repair the fan than to purchase a new Nintendo outrightly. Even if you are not a geek or technician, you can easily fix the loud noise issue of your Nintendo Switch by yourself.
You don’t have to give it to someone else to fix it for you but can do it yourself. Before you think about replacing the fan of your device, first check to find out if the product is covered by the manufacturer’s warranty. If the device is still in its warranty period, you can take it to Nintendo customer service. On the other hand, if it is not, it will cost you some money to fix it. Nonetheless, you can still repair the fans yourself at home.
Things You Need To Fix The Nintendo Switch Fan
- To start with, you need a replacement fan. The prices of Nintendo fans vary, so ensure that you get the right fan that fits your device.
- Get a screwdriver. If you don’t have one, you can buy one. Get the ph00 model of the screwdriver coupled with the Y00 tri-wing screwdriver.
- Thermal paste.
- Rubbing alcohol.
- Some cotton swabs.
- Next, you will need a softer surface where you can repair the Nintendo. For example, you will have to place the screen of the device upside down and concentrate on fixing the fan.
Most importantly, before you repair the Nintendo Switch, make sure that it is turned off. Do not make the mistake of keeping the device in sleep mode because there is a probability of electrocuting yourself.
Here is the way to replace the noisy fan of your Nintendo Switch:
- Step 1: Get a screwdriver and unscrew all the screws in the Nintendo Switch. Also, you will need to flip open the stand of Nintendo and remove the SD card slot as well. A lot of people do not take this into cognizance but it is important to take out the SD card in the device. After that, lift the plate of the Nintendo from the back to pull it out.
- Step 2: After pulling out the plate from the back of the Nintendo, you would be able to find where the fan is placed. Now, you will remove the screws from the SD card slot and the backplate area. After removing the micro SD card slot, carefully keep them on the side.
- Step 3: This step is very crucial. Now, you have to take out the sinking heat from the fans using a thermal paste. In addition, you have to clean the angles around the Nintendo Switch’s fans and clean the ribbon back on the device without disconnecting it.
- Step 4: Next, you have to take out the two screens on the fan while you leave the third screen to keep the fan in the right spot. Another thing that you should do is twist the board and bend the ribbon.
- Step 5: After you must have connected the back ribbon from the board, you have to flap it backward. After that, disconnect it from the fan.
- Step 6: At this point, you have gotten into an advanced stage and all is set for placing a new fan and tightening the three screws, and reconnecting the ribbon on the board. Just before you connect the heating sink, you have to clean the leftover thermal.
- Step 7: So, clean the leftover thermal from the fans using a cotton swab or cloth dipped in the alcohol.
- Step 8: You should clean the thermal paste from the top area of the Nintendo Switch and then apply an extra layer of the thermal paste to it. Don’t be in a haste to attach the metal plate, you need to clean the old paste on it first before that.
- Step 9: The next thing is to place the heating sink in its original position. Then, get the screws that you removed and tighten them on the Nintendo.
- Step 10: Reconnect the micro SD card to the foam of the device’s motherboard. You will feel the click sound to confirm that the SC card is rightly attached to the Nintendo Switch foam’s motherboard. Lastly, screw up the Nintendo plate and casing.
If you followed the steps above, you should be able to replace and fix the faulty fan of your Nintendo. Be rest assured that your console will run smoothly again if you successfully fixed the fan issue. Congratulations on solving the loud fan noise of your Nintendo Switch. All is set for immersing yourself in those favorite games of yours.
That’s not all, after replacing the fan, continue to check the device from time to time to make sure that it is not making noise or generating too much heat from the inside.
The Nintendo Switch is an awesome game console that you can get right now. With this console, you can play games at home with your family and friends, and also play out to go. If gaming is your hubby, you should definitely from out this Nintendo.
That said, one of the drawbacks of this device is that the main fan can be excessively noisy when used – especially while playing certain intense games. Gratefully, this article has provided you with six super tips to fix and repair the Nintendo loud fan. We recommended the most effective methods of solving the problem to ensure that your fan doesn’t get loud again.
In addition, you will no longer experience overheating if the console is in good condition. Regrettably, if you are still having the issue of loud fan noise or overheating, then there may be some other problem with your Nintendo. Probably, the components of the device may be damaged and need to be replaced. So, you can fix them in a service center but this will cost you some money and this is why we also provided you with a simple guide on how to replace the fan yourself.
Conclusively, try to make good use of this information, and feel free to use any of the solutions we proffered to end the disturbing noise of your Nintendo fan.