While chatting on Snapchat, you often send a message you wish you didn’t send or sent accidentally. Deleting the message can be suspicious as the other party will be notified of the deleted message.
If you want to delete a message on Snapchat without the other chat participant knowing that a message was deleted, read this article to find out.
Follow the procedure below to delete messages on Snapchat;
- Open the Snapchat app. Ensure you are logged into your account.
- Swipe right to open your chat window.
- Open the conversation from which you want to delete a message.
- Press the individual message you wish to delete until a pop-up menu appears.
- From the menu, tap “Delete.”
Please remember that you can only delete messages you have sent using this method. Snapchat does not have a functionality that allows you to delete the messages sent by others in a conversation.
After pressing “Delete,” the selected message(s) will no longer appear in your conversation. However, the other person in the chat will be notified that you have deleted a message in your conversation.
There is a simple way to delete messages in your conversations without Snapchat telling them that you have deleted a message. I believe that is the main reason you are here. Without wasting much time, I’ll show you how to go about it.
How Do I Delete Snapchat Messages Without Them Knowing?
If you want to delete messages on Snapchat without the recipients knowing about it, there is a way to go about it, but the messages will not be cleared on the recipients’ side.
The conversation will only be deleted from your chats, which means only you will be unable to access it. They can still access the chats and view all the messages, even after you delete the entire conversation on your phone.
There are two ways to delete messages on Snapchat without them knowing;
- Via your Chat window.
- Via your Profile Settings.
That is, you can clear conversations on your Snapchat account from your chat window or profile settings. When you do this, your recipients will not know that you have deleted the conversations.
From the Chat Window
If you want to delete Snapchat conversations from your chat window without them knowing, follow the procedure below;
- Open and start your Snapchat app.
- Swipe right to open your chat window.
- Locate and long-press the chat you wish to delete.
- From the pop-up menu that appears, select “Chat Settings.“
- From the new menu, tap “Clear from Chat Feed.”
- You will be prompted to confirm the deletion. To proceed, simply tap “Clear.“
The chat will be cleared from your phone, and you will no longer see them in your chat window. You can start a new conversation by searching their name on your friend list and messaging them.
From your Profile Settings
If you want to delete Snapchat conversations from your profile settings without them knowing, follow the procedure below;
- Open Snapchat on your device.
- Tap your bitmoji at the top left corner of the screen to visit your profile.
- Click the gear icon at the top right corner on your profile page to access your profile settings.
- On the settings page, scroll down to “ACCOUNT ACTIONS.”
- Click “Clear Conversation“.
- You will find a list of everyone you have had conversations with on this page. There will also be a (×) just in front of it.
- Tap the (×) icon next to the chat you wish to clear.
Once again, deleting messages on your Snapchat via this method will only remove the conversation on your side. The chat on the recipient’s phone will remain intact and unaffected. However, they will not know you have deleted yours.
These are the only ways to delete messages on Snapchat without them knowing. In the future, Snapchat will probably introduce a feature that allows users to delete messages without their recipients being notified of it.
What Does Snapchat Notify Others About My Deleted Message?
Snapchat is not as private as many people consider it to be. Speaking about messages, you cannot delete a message in a conversation without the other person knowing. Snapchat will send a notification to the other person about your action.
The only way you can delete messages on Snapchat without your recipients knowing about it or getting notified is to follow the procedure I explained above. Please bear in mind that you will be unable to recover these messages once you delete them too.
Another thing that Snapchat notifies other users about is screenshots. Once you take a screenshot of someone’s snap or your conversation with them, Snapchat will notify them of your action. So, it isn’t really private after all.
How Do I Prevent a Message From Being Deleted?
If you wish to clear conversations on your Snapchat account, you should know that all the messages in the specified chat will be deleted. If there are snaps in the conversation, they will also be deleted.
However, you can hold on to a message in a chat and stop it from getting deleted when you use the clear chat option. This is known as saving messages.
To do this, follow the procedure below;
- Open your Snapchat app.
- Swipe left to open your Chat window.
- Open the chat where you wish to save a message or snap from being deleted.
- Long press on the text or snap and select “Save in Chat” after viewing.
The message will be saved to your chat. Even if you delete all the conversations on your Snapchat, saved messages will not be deleted unless you return to unsave them. To do so, follow the same procedure used for saving.
If you wish to delete your Snapchat messages without them knowing, you should follow the procedure described above. However, if you are not concerned about them knowing, you can delete them directly.
Furthermore, a new feature on Snapchat allows users to set disappearing messages for chats. You can set a conversation in your chat window for how long. This is an automatic way of deleting messages without others knowing.